Toffee in Glass Jars for Bonfire Night
With less than one month to go until Bonfire Night, many of you will be starting to think about this year’s bonfire party. In addition to organising the fireworks, building the bonfire and creating a spooky Guy to go on top, it is time to consider what you plan to serve to your party guests. Besides delicious hot dogs with onions, baked potatoes and spicy pulled pork rolls, your guests will no doubt be hoping for some sweet treats. Bonfire toffee is a firm favourite and no bonfire party would be complete without it. Here is a simple recipe for dark and sticky toffee that is just right for 5 November.
500g dark brown sugar
125gm black treacle
125gm golden syrup
130ml hot water
½ teaspoon cream of tartar
1. Line a large flat baking tray with baking parchment and grease thoroughly.
2. Put the sugar and water into a saucepan and heat. Rather than stirring, gently swirl the pan around until the sugar has dissolved completely.
3. Add all the other ingredients and continue to heat, bringing to the boil. Again, don’t stir the mixture but keep it from sticking or burning by moving the pan.
4. Using a jam thermometer, measure the temperature of the mixture. Keep boiling until the temperature reaches 140°C.
5. As soon as the temperature is reached, pour the mixture into the baking tray.
6. Leave the toffee to cool and then remove it from the tray and break it up with a rolling pin. Store in an airtight container ready to serve.
Store your toffee in sweet jars
Once you have made your toffee, you need a suitable jar to store it in ready to hand around on Bonfire Night. Our glass jars are reminiscent of old-fashioned sweet shop jars and are just the ticket. As you will be outside in the dark, popping your toffee in a jar will mean it is easy to pass around to guests without getting dropped or knocked off the table. These jars are available in fun, contemporary colours and will look smart no matter what kind of sweets you store in them.
Plastic sweet jars
In addition to our range of glass jars, we stock a variety of plastic storage jars that look exactly like those sweet shop jars we all grew up with. They come in a range of sizes, with the largest a whopping 4,430ml – perfect to hold enough toffee for an army of excited guests!