Recipe for a Kilner jar
Whilst the most obvious use for Kilner jars is home preserving, there are many other creative ways in which these jars can be utilised. In today’s post, we take a look at how you can use our jars to cleverly present a cake.
Cooking with Kilner jars
Using the Kilner screw top jars, it is possible to create unique and visually appealing individual cakes, baked in the oven just like any other cake. Here is a recipe for a decadent velvet cake:
250g caster sugar
250g self-raising flour
4 large eggs
2 tsp baking powder
red food colouring
1 tbsp cocoa powder
2 tbsp hot water
60g caster sugar
3 tbsp water
2 tbsp milk
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas mark 4. Use an oil spray to grease the insides of three 500ml Kilner jars.
2. Whisk the margarine and sugar together until the mixture is creamy, then gently beat in the eggs.
3. Fold in the flour and baking powder. Once everything is mixed, split the mixture in half, putting one half in a separate bowl.
4. In one bowl, add the food colouring and mix well; in the other, add the cocoa powder and hot water and mix thoroughly.
5. Use a spoon to place a 1cm layer of the red mixture in each jar. Bake for 20 minutes without using the jar lids.
6. Remove the jars from the oven, then add a 2cm layer of the cocoa mixture and bake for a further 15 minutes.
7. Again, remove the jars from the oven. Add another layer of the red mixture and bake for another 15 minutes.
8. Remove the jars from the oven and leave them to cool.
9. To make the icing, whisk the butter and caster sugar together until smooth. Gradually add in the water and milk and beat until the mixture is creamy.
10. When the cakes have cooled, spoon the icing into the top of each Kilner jar. Put the lids on the jars and eat the cakes within two days.
Kilner jars and similar alternatives
The Kilner jar range here at Wares is extensive and covers both screw top and clip top styles. We also carry a variety of similar jars from other manufacturers, which work in the same way but offer cost savings for those looking for a budget-friendly alternative. In a future post, we will look at a cake recipe for a clip top Kilner jar for further baking delights.