When I was a little girl I there were so many aunts and uncles in our family. Sadly now after many years have gone by there are very few but here my Aunty Ursula’s recipe lives on: Enjoy!!!!!
- 3 Eggs separated
- 3-4 tbsp.Warm water depending on egg size
- 6 oz. Sugar
- 2 tsp Vanilla Sugar
- 4 oz Self Raising Flour
- 4 oz. Corn Flour
- ½ tsp. Baking Powder
- 1 pt. of cold stiff custard
- ¼ lb. of unsalted butter at room temperature
- Nutella or any other chocolate spread
- Apricot Jam
1. Preheat your oven to 150 – 160 Degree Celsius
2. Grease and line a 9” spring form cake tin
3. Beat Egg yolks and water until creamy
4. Add sugar and vanilla sugar slowly until dissolved
5. Beat egg whites separately until very stiff
6. Combine flours and baking powder
7. Add a tbsp.. of whisked egg white and 1 tbsp.of flour to the creamed mix carefully so as not to dispel air, repeat until all is combined, pour into cake tin.
8. Bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes
9. Test with a skewer
10. Cake will look pale in colour
1. Make 1 pt. of very stiff custard (i.e. heaped tbsp..custard powder and 2 tbsp.of sugar). When custard is thick place the pan of custard in a sink of cold water, beat continuously in order to cool it and so that it does not form a skin.
2. Put butter in a large bowl and beat until soft.
3. Add a spoonful at a time of the cold custard until all is incorporated.
4. When the cake is cold slice twice horizontally.
5. Take approximately ¼ of the butter cream mix into a separate bowl and add approx..1 tbsp of nutella and mix thoroughly (this is for top decoration)
6. Put 3 to 4 tbsp.of apricot jam into a bowl and add a bit of hot water to thin down, spread jam and a thin layer of butter cream onto each layer and sandwich together.
7. Cover the cake completely in butter cream
8. Decorate with the chocolate butter cream as desired.
Thank you to my Cousin Jane for her mum’s recipe!!!!!